Tuesday, August 9, 2011

And I Cried

I really feel in my heart that Dementia or Alzheimer's disease are the worse diseases a loved one can have.  At least with cancer, you know somewhat how to treat it.  With Dementia, you play a guessing game every day and there is no way to cure it or make it better.  The way you deal with it usually determines the outcome.  I chose to write this blog about Grandma.  Although some think I am making fun of her, I am not. I am making fun of the disease!  I have to laugh to keep from crying.  And I laugh a lot with Grandma because I never know what to expect.


Saturday, I woke up with this awful feeling in my stomach that Grandma had lost her teeth again.  I was at my mother's house and everyone was still asleep.  I got up and went to her house and found her looking around.  On my way, I had picked up gravy and biscuits -- her favorite.   I told her I had extra, but she was visibly upset about loosing her teeth.  So, I checked all the places that I would think a dementia patient would hide their teeth.  It is really hard to think like a dementia patient!  Think about that last sentence and it will come to you slowly.


Anyway, I found her teeth on top of the fridge in a coffee cup.  Now, you have to realize, I have not told Grandma who I am at this point.  She came running from the kitchen and said the most beautiful words I could have ever heard, "Oh, Carole Anne, you found them."  She remembered my name, and I cried.


Hopefully, more tomorrow.... The story of how I got in trouble with Grandma and had to repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: